- 1 bunch spring onion ¼ cabbage finely chopped 1 teaspoon jeera/ cumin seeds 1 teaspoon saunf/ aniseeds ½ teaspoon turmeric powder 1 teaspoon dry red chilly powder 1 teaspoon dhania-jeera powder ½ teaspoon sugar 1 tablespoon lemon juice ½ cup besan/ chickpea flour Salt to taste
This dry besanwala bhaji/ subji/ veggie can be made with only cabbage or only spring onions too. Its very convenient for those tiffin times especially if you need to travel. Chick pea flour or Besan is a popular item available in most stores, and is also used to make veggie fritters or besan ladoo dessert. A dry dish like this one with a combination of a gravy or curry dish can make an interesting meal with some hot breads/ rotis.
- Roast the besan on a pan on slow flame till light brown colour.
- Heat another pan and add oil. When oil is heated, add jeera & saunf and allow them to crackle.
- Now add spring onions and cabbage. Cover and let it cook well.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder, dhaniya-jeera powder and sugar and fry them well for 5 minutes.
- Now add the besan and fry well for 5 to 6 minutes with constant stirring making sure that the besan is well coated all over the veggies.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish the Besanwala subji with coriander/ cilantro leaves.