- 1 bunch palak / spinach leaves 1 large onion sliced 1 tablespoon besan / chane ka atta/ chickpea flour 1 teaspoon haldi/ turmeric powder 1 teaspoon mirchi/ red dry chilli powder ½ teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder)/ 1 tomato 1 teaspoon kasoori methi 1 cup water 1 teaspoon jeera/ cumin seeds 1 pinch of hing/ asafoetida Salt to taste
Popeye the sailor has made the Spinach vegetable popular worldwide. Palak or Spinach is rich in iron and other minerals and add the vital greens to your meals. This is a simple veggie that is fresh and juicy and is relished with chapathis or parathas. Can also be accompanied by rice meals.
- Wash the palak/ spinach leaves and chop them well.
- Heat oil, add hing/ asafoetida, cumin seeds and allow them to crackle/ splutter.
- Then add turmeric powder and chilli/ pepper powder.
- Add sliced onion and fry till brown.
- Add the besan/ chick pea flour and fry well for 5 minutes.
- Add a tomato or amchur powder for the sour tangy flavor and fry well.
- Add a cup of water and the salt.
- Sprinkle kasoori methi which gives is a unique fragrance and hence is added at the last.
- Your Palak bhaji is ready to be served with either Chapathi or Rice.