- ¼ kg raw green tomatoes ½ teaspoon turmeric powder ½ teaspoon chilli powder 1 tablespoon roasted and crushed peanut powder A teaspoon of grated jaggery A pinch of asafoetida (hing) 1 teaspoon mustard seeds Salt to taste
Green tomatoes are rich in vitamin C. The tanginess of tomatoes when blended with sweetness of peanuts and jaggery gives the dish a delicious sweet sour flavour. This can be eaten with a roti or paratha.
- Wash and cut the tomatoes into pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida and mustard seeds. Allow the mustard to crackle.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and the tomato pieces.
- Cook the tomatoes without covering it until soft. (covering causes de-skinning). Add a tablespoon of water if required.
- Finally add salt, jaggery and peanut powder. Adjust the jaggery as per the tanginess of the tomatoes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.