- Tender radish leaves alongwith stalk (usually left over from other veg preparations of radish)
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon green chillies chopped (green peppers)
- ½ teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup thick curd (yoghurt)
- 1 tablespoon peanuts powdered coarsely
- A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- Dhaniya patti / Coriander leaves for garnishing
A great refreshing crunchy salad made from scraps of Radish greens/ Mooli ke patte that you would normally have discarded. Greens not only have intrinsic nutritive value of minerals etc but also add that zing to a possibly bland meal. The Radish salad can be made without peanuts, but the addition of coarsely ground peanuts adds a great flavor that is typical of the western Maharashtra ghats. Adding nuts to a meal is always beneficial as they help to control cholesterol levels.
- Chop the radish finely alongwith its tender stalk.
- Add salt and keep for 5-10 minutes. Drain off the water.
- Add onion, green chillies, salt & sugar. Mix well.
- Tempering of ½ teaspoon jeera and hing (asafoetida) in 1 teaspoon oil till it splutters/ crackles. Add this to the above mixture.
- Add coarsely powdered peanuts and curd and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander sprigs.