- 1 cup nachni flour / finger millet flour ¼ cup wheat flour 1 cup methi patta/ fenugreek greens chopped finely 2-3 green chillies/ peppers chopped finely 1 tablespoon coriander/ cilantro leaves chopped finely 1 teaspoon carom seeds/ ajwain (helps in good digestion and avoids gas formation) ¼ teaspoon sugar 2 tablespoon oil Salt to taste
NASHNYACHI BHAKRI / NACHANI OR RAGI PARATHA / FINGER MILLET BREAD
Bhakri or Rotlas or Parathas are thick breads made from coarse grains. They are generally rich in fiber as well as nutrients. This Bhakri /Rotla/ Paratha is made from Finger Millet grains which are high in nutritive value. The dark maroon colour of the millet gives the bhakri a very rich dark colour.
Nachani or Ragi or Finger Millet is a very good source of Calcium, Iron & Vitamin A. Home made Ragi malt happens to be one of the most popular infant food even to this day. Consuming it in the form of a paratha alognwith Methi (green leafy vegetables) helps in proper complete nutrition.
Can be eaten with Baingan Bharta, Pumpkin Bharta, vegetable salads, pickles, or simply plain curd/ yoghurt. Can also be eaten with non-vegetarian preparations like egg with onion-tomato sauce or chicken kolhapuri etc.
- Mix all the ingredients together to form a dough.
- Make small Ragi balls and roll each ball into a paratha/ rotla/ bhakri/ flat rounds.
- Roast them on a hot tawa/ flat pan on both sides, using ghee/ butter.
Scientific Name: Eleusine coracana
- English: Finger millet, African millet, ragi, koracan
- Arabic: Tailabon
- Chinese: cǎnzi (pinyin)
- Danish: Fingerhirse
- Dhivehi: Binbi
- Ethiopia: Dagussa (Amharic/Sodo), tokuso (amharic), barankiya (Oromo)
- French: eleusine cultivee, coracan, koracan
- German: Fingerhirse
- Ragi (Kannada, Telugu, Hindi)
- Kodra in Himachali ( Himachal Pradesh )
- Mandia (Oriya)
- Taidalu (in the Telangana region)
- Kezhvaragu, kay.pai, Aariyam (Tamil)
- Muthary ( Panjipul or kooravu (Malayalam)
- Maddua (Kumaon)
- Nachani (Marathi , Gujarati, Rajasthani)
- Nashani , Nachne, Nathno(Konkani)
- Madua (Bihar, especially in Mithila region)
- Japan: Shikokubie
- Kenya: Wimbi (Swahili), Kal (Dholuo), Ugimbi (Kikuyu and Meru)
- Korea: (Susu)
- Nepal: Kodo
- Nigeria: Tamba (Hausa)
- Rwanda: Uburo
- Sri Lanka: (Kurakkan)
- Sudan: Tailabon (Arabic), ceyut (Bari)
- Tanzania: (Swahili) Mbege, mwimbi, Wimbi, ulezi,
- Uganda: Bulo
- Vietnam: Hong mi, Chi ke
- Zambia: Kambale, lupoko, mawele, majolothi, amale, bule
- Zimbabwe: Rapoko, zviyo, njera, rukweza, mazhovole, uphoko, poho