- 3 white radish (without leaves) 2 tablespoon moong dal (lentils) soaked in minimum water for ½ hour 1/4 cup fresh green peas (optional) 2 green chillies (peppers) slit 1 teaspoon (rai/ sarson)mustard seeds A pinch of hing(asafoetida) ½ teaspoon haldi (turmeric) powder ½ teaspoon chini/ shakkar/ sakhar (sugar) 2 teaspoon oil 1 tablespoon coconut grated 1 cup water Salt to taste Coriander leaves to garnish
MOOLYA CHI BHAJI / MOOLI KA SAAG /RADISH MOONG DAL SUBJI is a simple low fat vegetable preparation of radish with lentils. Light in spice with a mild flavor. Generally preferred with chapatti but also good with rice and curry. Radish has a strong astringent pungent odour and hence not preferred by some, but if this is combined with a lentil such as moong dal, it not only increases the protein nutritive value of the dish but also improves the flavor by reducing the pungency and odour.
Cut the radish lengthwise into two and then slice them into thin semi-circles.
- Heat oil in a kadai (pan). Add hing, mustard seeds and allow it to splutter/ crackle (tadka/ chonk/ fodni/ fodna).
- Add the green chillies, turmeric powder, radish, peas, moong dal and water.
- Start cooking. Once the radish is half cooked add salt and sugar and cook till done.
- Add grated coconut and garnish with coriander sprigs.
Do not discard the tender leaves of the radish. These leaves can be used to make a deliciously crunchy salad of radish tenders.