- 1 bunch methi / fenugreek greens chopped fine 1 cup onion chopped fine ½ cup peas 1 teaspoon garlic-ginger paste 2 green chillies/ peppers chopped fine ½ cup curd / sour cream/ sour yoghurt/ dahi 1 pinch of haldi / turmeric powder 1 pinch of sugar ½ cup water 1 teaspoon dry red chilli/ pepper powder 1 teaspoon jeera 1 tablespoon fresh cream Salt to taste
MALAI METHI MATAR / CREAM OF FENUGREEK GREENS WITH FRESH PEAS
Methi greens are a very popular veggie and this “Cream of Fenugreek greens with fresh peas” is a creamier version and is made on special occasions or for parties etc.
This Malai Methi Matar is the version you will find at restaurants. The simpler version of Methi subji is usually only to be found at homes.
- Pluck the leaves of methi / fenugreek from the stalks. Use only the tender stalks and leaves. Throw the hard base stalks. Wash thoroughly and chop finely.
- Boil the fresh green peas with salt.
- Mix the turmeric powder, chilli powder and sugar in the curd.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the jeera and allow it to splutter/ crackle.
- Add onion and allow it to fry till golden brown.
- Add garlic-ginger paste and fry well, add green chillies and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add methi / fenugreek greens and fry well till the methi leaves are properly cooked and dry.
- Now add the curd masala and fry on slow flame until the oil is separated.
- Finally add the peas, ½ cup water, salt and allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Lastly add the malai / cream and mix well. The Malai Methi Matar is ready to serve.
Tip: To give it a rich smoked flavor, heat a charcoal on an open flame till red hot. Drop it in the dish and pour a drop of oil (preferably coconut oil). Cover it immediately to allow the smoke to absorb into the dish. Remove the coal in a few minutes. Keep the dish covered until you are ready to serve this wonderfully smoked Malai Methi Matar / Cream of Fenugreek greens with fresh geen peas.
This dish can also be made without fresh green peas as only Malai Methi.