- ½ cup tur dal 1 large tomato 1 teaspoon dry red chilli powder 2 teaspoon coriander powder (not roasted) 2 teaspoon jeera powder (not roasted) 100gms carrots 100gms French beans 100gms peas 100gms mushrooms 100gms cauliflower 1 capsicum 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp 1 teaspoon jaggery ¼ cup curd 1 pinch of garam masala 1 pinch of hing/ asafoetida ½ teaspoon jeera ½ teaspoon aniseeds Salt to taste
This one is an uncommon mix vegetable dish that is made with a seasoning of curd & spices, but without the use of any onion or garlic etc. Hence it is described as Jain which is a religious sect that in its strict vegetarian diet avoids the use of any food that is grown underground/ below the soil.
- Boil the veggies. You can use the mix vegetables of your choice.
- Also boil the dal/ lentils & tomato together. Mash it well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil, add hing, jeera & aniseeds. Now add the dhania & jeera powder & fry well intil ti gives an aroma.
- Add chilli powder fry well for 2 minutes.
- Now add the boiled veggies & dal mizture and mix well.
- Add curd.
- Add tamarind pulp, jaggery, salt, garam masala & cook on slow flame.
- The Jain mili juli veggie is ready for serving.