- ¼ kg French beans sliced diagonally ½ cup grated coconut 3 green chillies slit ½ teaspoon mustard seeds 6 to 7 curry leaves 1 pinch of hing/ asafoetida 1 pinch of sugar
FRENCH BEANS SAUTÉ/ FARASBEE SUBJI
A simple French beans/ Farasbee recipe which is very mildly flavoured.
A regular favourite among all the family members and nutritious too. The grated coconut gives it a juicy feel.
This was made in pure coconut oil in the olden days, but now health conscious people use other vegetable oils.
This recipe for val papdi bhaji or French beans sauté is a simple style home preparation which retains the original taste of the veggies and green chillies further add life to the dish.
A little lemon juice can be added further to add some tanginess.
- Take a pan and heat oil, add hing/ asafoetida & mustard seeds. Allow the mustard seeds to crackle, then add curry leaves/ kadi patta and green chillies.
- Add the farasbee/ French beans and sauté for 3 minutes. Add ½ cup water to it, cover and cook it till the beans are cooked but remain crisp.
- Add salt, sugar and mix well.
- Garnish with grated coconut.
You can get innovative with this dish and make additions as per your preference like maybe add onions and/or small cubed potatoes etc.