- INGREDIENTS: ¼ kg Bhindi/ Bhendi/ Lady finger vegetable 3 green chillies chopped finely ¼ inch ginger chopped finely 1 cup thick curd 1 teaspoon jeera ½ teaspoon sugar ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (optional) Coriander leaves for garnishing
Okra is a popular health food due to its high fiber, vitamin C, and folate content. Okra is also known for being high in antioxidants and is also often eaten as part of a weight loss diet since it is both fat-free and cholestrol-free. Okra is also a good source of calcium and potassium.
Bhendi/ Okra/ Vendakkai/ ladyfinger/ preparations are normally preferred fried to make them dry since some don’t prefer the slimy feel in case they are not cooked properly. This dish makes the cooking easy and you cannot go wrong with the texture and feel since the curd/ yoghurt/ dahi gives it a great consistency. Hence the name Dahiwali Bhindi. It also adds the sour tang to the spicy hot touch of the chillies and ginger.
This combination of flavours is a pleasant change from the usual fried Bhindi style.
- Wash and dry the lady fingers/ Bhindi/ Bhendi.
- Cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a flat pan/ tava.
- Add 1 teaspoon jeera.
- Then add the chopped green chillies & fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger & fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the bhindi pieces & fry well till the bhindi is cooked (Do not cover the pan).
- Add salt to taste & turmeric powder.
- Now switch off the gas flame/ heat source.
- Now that the vegetable is cooked add curd/ dahi and sugar.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.