- 4 cups rice 3 cups fresh curd (not too sour) ½ cup milk 2-3 dry red chillies/ pepper broken 2 tablespoon ghee ½ teaspoon cumin seeds/ jeera 5-6 curry leaves/ kadipatta Salt to taste
A simple preparation of steamed rice and curd / sour youghurt. This is very popular in South India and also in many other places. The curd rice/ dahi chawal/ dahi bhaath, provides simple balanced meal and can be made more interesting with accompaniments like fried pappadoms, raitas, sandge fries, pickles etc.
- Wash the rice thoroughly before boiling to get the extra starch off.
- Boil or steam the rice and make sure that the grains are properly separated.
- Once the rice has cooled, add curd, salt to taste & a little sugar. Mix it thoroughly.
- Heat ghee in a tempering pan, add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Then add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Pour this tempering over the curd rice.
- Add the milk and mix the rice properly.
- Your healthy and simple curd rice / dahi chawal/ doi bhaath, is ready to eat.
Its important to cool the rice before add the curd. Because the curd has a tendency to spoil if heated.