- 1 Cup ulsane beans(peas,white grams ,masoor ) 2 large onions chopped finely 1 cup coconut grated ½ cup prawns & 1 medium potato (optional) 1 tablespoon coriander seeds 3 cloves ½ inch cinnamon 1 petal of chakri phool (star anise) 2 red chillies 6 peppercorns 2 teaspoon aniseeds ½ teaspoon turmeric A small piece of tamarind Salt to taste 3 cups water
Ulsane/ Alsaney are bright brown beans available only in the “Goa” state of India. These Ulsane beans are distinctly different in flavour from the north Indian Rajma beans which are darker in colour. This curry “Tonak” is a traditional recipe served with chapati, puri or pao breads. In case you dont get Ulsane you can substitute it with Peas or white peas or masoor lentils.
- Wash the ulsane beans and soak them in water overnight.
- Clean the prawns and apply salt.(prawns and potatoes are optional)
- Heat a tawa or a pan, add a drop of oil. Roast the coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns, red chillies, a petal of star anise and aniseeds for 3-5 minutes on slow flame. Reserve.
- On the same tawa add ½ teaspoon oil, add 1 finely chopped onion and fry till brown. Add the grated coconut and roast till golden brown colour on a slow flame.
- Mix the roasted spices, turmeric powder, tamarind and coconut. Grind to a fine paste.
- Heat 3 cups of water. Add the ulsane and cook. When half done add the onions and cook till the beans are fully cooked.
- Add salt to taste.
- Now add the ground paste and prawns. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Adjust the water as per your preference.