- 1 big raw mango 1 ½ cup grated coconut 1 teaspoon chilli powder ½ teaspoon turmeric powder ¼ teaspoon split Bengal gram or urid seeds ¼ teaspoon methi seeds 1 lemon size ball of jaggery ¼ teaspoon tamarind pulp ¼ teaspoon oil salt to taste FOR THE TEMPERING: ¼ teaspoon urid dal ¼ teaspoon methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) A pinch of asafoetida(hing) ½ teaspoon mustard seeds 2 cups of water 2 teaspoon oil
This tangy Goan curry is a must in the Mango season. For every religious function this curry is prepared and relished by everyone.Pronounced as “Amli Uddamethi” in Goa.
- Peel the mango and cut it into pieces. Use the core too.
- Heat oil and slightly brown urid and the methi seeds.
- In a mixer add the grated coconut(churn the mixer once) and extract thick milk.
- Add the same coconut residue to the mixer and add the roasted urid, methi seeds,turmeric powder and the chilli powder.Grind to a paste.
- In a pan heat oil. Add mustard seeds and hing and allow the mustard seeds to crackle.Then add the urid seeds and methi seeds.
- Add the raw mango pieces and add water. Cook the mango till they turn soft.
- Add jaggery and salt.
- Now add the ground coconut paste and tamarind pulp.
- It is important to taste this curry as the amount of jaggery depends upon the sourness of the mango.
- Add more jaggery if desired.