- ½ cup tur dal 1 medium size radish 1 dry red chilly or 1 teaspoon chilly powder ½ teaspoon turmeric powder 1 pinch of sugar 1 cup coconut grated ½ tablespoon tamarind pulp 6-7 triphala Salt to taste
MULYA CHO ROAS is a traditional curry made of Tuvar dal/ split red gram and Radish/ mooli and generally eaten with steamed rice.
This is usually accompanied by pickle, papad, vegetable fodi, fish fry etc.
This recipe has been passed on to me by my mother-in-law. The addition of coconut and radish to this simple gram curry gives it a totally different twist & I understand why these simple but subtle flavours were popular with our forefathers.
- Cut the mooli/ radish into 2 inch long fingers/ pieces.
- Grind to a paste the coconut, dry red chilly (or powder), turmeric powder and tamarind.
- Boil the radish in enough quantity of water.
- Add cooked tuvar/ toor dal to it and mix well.
- Add coconut paste, salt, sugar and cook.
- Finally add triphala & cook for 1 minute. The triphala helps to kill the raw-odour of the radish.