- 5 large tomatoes (cut into halves and remove the seeds)
- 1 small potato(optional)
- 1 small piece of carrot
- 1 medium size onion
- 1 bayleaf (tamalpatra)
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- FOR THE TEMPERING:
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoon olive oil/ ghee/ salted butter
Tomato soup has been the most preferred among the soups, however in India particularly, the recipe changes as per the local preference. Normally the restaurants serve the creamy rich soup with plenty of white sauce & this soup is also referred to as Creme of Tomato soup, it does taste good but may not be very healthy. This particular recipe has an Indian touch and tastes as well as looks excellent. Olive oil tempering adds to the flavor but if you do not like it then ghee or butter is good enough.
- Heat a teaspoon of butter and add a bayleaf. Now add the onions and fry till colour turns pink. Add tomatoes, potato and carrot.
- Pressure cook the above to 2 whistles. Remove the skin of the tomatoes and puree the whole mixture. Remember to discard the bayleaf.
- Sieve the tomato puree.
- Heat a pan or a vessel and add the tomato puree.
- In a bowl mix together corn-flour and milk(or use white sauce). Add this to the tomato puree and stir continuously on a slow flame. Add salt to taste, black pepper powder and sugar.
- In another pan heat olive oil/ ghee/ butter, add the chopped onions and fry till brown. Pour this tempering over the soup.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of cream(optional) and bread croutons
- This soup tastes awesome with the above proportion of ingredients but however the taste depends on the ripeness, flavor of the tomatoes and carrots. Therefore, I request you to taste it and add 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce/ketchup if necessary.
INGREDIENTS FOR BREAD CROUTONS:
- 3 slices of bread cut into squares
- 2 tablespoon ghee/oil
METHOD FOR MAKING CROUTONS:
- Heat ghee or oil and shallow fry the bread squares till crisp and golden.