- 4 large tomatoes (cut into halves and remove the seeds)
- 1 medium size onion
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 3 black pepper corns
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon maida (refined wheat flour)
- Salt to taste
Tomato soup has been the most preferred among the soups, however in India particularly, the recipe changes as per the local preference. Normally the restaurants serve the creamy rich soup with plenty of white sauce. This soup is referred to as Creme of Tomato soup.
- Heat a teaspoon of butter and add the onions and fry till colour turns pink. Add tomatoes and pepper corns and pressure cook the above to 2 whistles. Remove the skin of the tomatoes and puree the whole mixture.
- Sieve the tomato puree.
- To make white sauce– Heat butter in a pan and fry the maida till golden on a slow flame. Switch off the flame (to avoid lumpiness and easily mix).
- Add the milk and blend it together to form a paste. If it’s too thick add a little water.
- Now heat it on a slow flame and stir it continuously to get a homogenous texture to the white sauce.
- If it does become lumpy, use a blender to break the lumps.
- In a pan or a vessel heat the tomato puree.
- Add the white sauce, salt, sugar & pepper powder.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of cream(optional) and bread croutons
The taste of the soup depends on the ripeness, flavor of the tomatoes. Therefore, I request you to taste it and add 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce/ketchup if necessary. You can also be a bit more lavish and use some grated cheese to enrich the flavour if your waistline permits it.
INGREDIENTS FOR BREAD CROUTONS:
- 3 slices of bread cut into squares
- 2 tablespoon ghee/oil
METHOD FOR MAKING CROUTONS:
- Heat ghee or oil and shallow fry the bread squares till crisp and golden.