- ½ cup urad dal (split black gram) 1 cup parboiled rice 1 large onion chopped finely 3 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped finely 1 teaspoon chilly powder 1 ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) 10 curry leaves 1 medium sized tomato (optional) Salt to taste
South Indian cuisine is very healthy as most of their dishes requires fermentation and also it needs less oil. This onion utthappam can be a perfect breakfast special or a good evening snack. This pan cake tastes great with sambar or various chutneys like coconut, pudina, garlic chutney or other ketchups.
- Wash the rice and the urad dal.
- Soak the rice and the urad dal in enough water to cover them separately for 4 hours.
- Grind to a smooth paste. Cover and keep it aside for atleast 4 hours. Add salt and mix well.
- Grease the tawa pan with oil.
- When the tawa is hot reduce the flame and pour a ladleful of the batter on the tawa in a circular motion.
- Sprinkle onion, jeera, chilli powder, coriander leaves, curry leaves and tomato.
- Pour ghee or oil on the edges of the utthappam. Cover it. The onion utthappam becomes brown and crisp.
- Similarly make 6 to utthappas with the rest of the batter.
- Once the onion uttappam gets brown along the edges remove and serve hot.