- For the Sauce: (for approx 12 enchiladas)
- Flour – 1 Tbsp
- Oil – 1 Tbap
- Tomato Sauce – 8 oz can
- Broth/Stock – 14 oz can
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Oregano – 1/4 tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- For the Enchiladas: Corn Tortillas
- Refried Beans (Click here for Refried Beans recipe)
- Shredded Cheese (Cheddar, Colby or Monterey Jack)
- Chopped Onions
- Sliced Olives
Mexican cuisine is always a favorite for the Indian palate as it has so many similar flavors – cumin, coriander, garlic, chili, etc. Try this easy Bean and Cheese Enchiladas recipe made with corn tortillas and a homemade enchilada sauce. Combine the enchiladas with some guacamole, chips and salsa and Spanish rice and you have a complete meal.
1.Heat Oil in a pan.
2. Add All-purpose Flour and whisk well.
3. Once the flour turns light pink, add Broth, Tomato Sauce, and Water.
4. Add Garlic Powder, Cumin Powder, Oregano, Salt, Sugar and Chili Powder. Mix well, cover and allow to come to a boil.
5. Uncover and allow the sauce to thicken (stir frequently). Remove from heat when thickened.
(Preheat Oven to 400F/204C)
6. Spray an oven proof pan with Oil and spread a little sauce to coat the bottom.
7. Wrap Corn Tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes.
8. Spread each Tortilla with 1-2 tablespoons of Sauce.
9. Place 2-3 Tbsp of Refried Beans along the center of the Tortilla.
10. Sprinkle Cheese and Onions on top of the beans.
11. Roll the Tortilla and place it seam side down in the pan.
12. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
13. Spread remaining Sauce over the rolled Enchiladas.
14. Sprinkle Cheese, Onions and Black Olives over the top.
15. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes at 400F/204C in the oven.
16. Serve immediately.