- 3 large potatoes boiled & peeled
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pinch of hing/ asafoetida
- 3 green chillies chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon jeera powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch of sugar & salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon oil
This simple potato bhaji tastes good with puri (puri-bhaji) or phulka or chapathi. The secret behind a perfect batata bhaji is the generous use of oil. The aromatics used such as hing/ asafoetida, kadipatta/ curry leaves & hari mirch/ green chillies gives it a tempting flavour to the otherwise bland humble batata/ potato.
The above recipe is without onion and popular during festivals and auspicious occasions like marriages where the use of onion is restricted.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes.
- In ¼ cup water mix salt, sugar, turmeric powder, jeera powder, coriander powder.
- Apply the above paste to the potatoes and marinate them for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add hing and then the mustard seeds, allow the seeds to crackle.
- Now add curry leaves & green chillies.
- Add potatoes & mix them well & cook by covering for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
The potatoes should be overcooked for a great texture.