- 1 tablespoon dhaniya/ coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon jeera / cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 5-6 cloves
- 5 badi elaichi (big cardamom)
- 2-3 elaichi (small regular cardamom)
- 1 teaspoon anardana (dried pomegranate seeds)
- 1 inch long 4 pieces of Tikhi/ cinnamon
- 4-5 tamalpatra/ bay leaves
The basic garam masala i.e special blend of spices, used in Punjabi cuisine. This in the way to make it from the basic ingredients. However a ready blend of “garam masala” is easily available in stores today.
The flavor of the ready spice mix may however not be exactly matching to the authentic Punjabi flavor hence for the real taste I always prefer to make my own afresh.
- Roast the above on tava/ pan till brown.
- Grind to a powder.
- The Punjabi Garam Masala is ready to be used.
- This spice blend can be stored in an airtight bottle easily upto 6-8 months without losing its fresh spicy flavor and fragrance.
- This savory spice blend is used in various North Indian recipes like Punjabi Rajma Masala.