- 250gms dry red Bedgi chillies 1 jaiphal 1 cup coriander seeds ¼ cup turmeric powder 2 ½ tablespoons jaipatri ¾ cup khuskhus (poppy seeds) 1 tablespoons black peppercorns ½ cup aniseeds 4 cloves 1 tablespoons dalchini
This goan spice powder is stored in every goan household. The spice mix / garam masala is mixed with rice powder/coarse rice flour and applied to slices of veggies to get Fodi/ crispies/ chips/ fries.
The Pednekar garam masala is the more stronger that the normal Goan Samar and used while preparing non-veg dishes too. Just roast grated coconut & onions to brown and grind to a fine paste. Add the masala powder and apply to shellfish such as clams, crabs etc and it makes a tasty dish.
- Put a few drops of oil on a hot tawa/pan roast the chillies.
- Put them in a bowl.
- Then roast each ingredient & reserve in the bowl.
- Grind the above masala in a mixer-grinder to a fine powder. Sieve to get a fine powder.
- Grind any coarse residue again to get a fine homogenous powder.
- The Pednekar Goa curry powder/ mix spice powder/ garam masala/ Pednekar Goan samar is ready to store and use.
Tip: For best aroma & flavour, use fresh spices and store in airtight containers.