- 2 medium size sharks 3 red chillies 2 teaspoon ginger- garlic paste 2 teaspoon coriander seeds 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) 1 teaspoon shahjeera ½ inch cinnamon(tikhi) 4 cloves(laung) 1 elaichi or cardamom 2 teaspoon sesame seeds 2 finely chopped onions 1teaspoon turmeric powder 1 cup grated coconut(dried or fresh) 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp Salt to taste Oil for cooking
This popular Konkani preparation originates in the coastal state of Goa. Called Moriye che mutton or Mori (Indian Dog Shark) Mutton, it is a fish curry that is rich in Vitamin B-12 and is a good source of Magnesium, Niacin, Vitamin B-6 and Omega-3’s. It is a good tasty and healthy alternative for people who don’t eat red meat.
- Dry roast on a tawa pan the grated coconut and the sesame seeds. Grind this to a paste.
- Heat a pan or a tawa and roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, shahjeera, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom . Grind the masala to a fine paste.
- De-skin the shark and cut it into 1 inch pieces.
- Wash it well and apply salt, ginger-garlic paste and turmeric powder. Marinate it for 15 minutes.
- Heat a pan and add ¼ cup oil. Add the onions and fry till golden brown.
- Now add the shark meat pieces and fry them lightly for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground masala paste, the ground coconut paste, tamarind pulp and salt.
- Add a cup of water and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.This fish gets cooked very fast.
- This dish can be eaten with roti or breads or boiled rice.