- 1 cup boneless chicken
- 1 cup boiled long grain rice
- 2 eggs whisked with salt
- 8-10 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 5 green onions/ scallions/ green shallots chopped finely
- 1 chicken stock cube OR 1 pinch (MSG) mono-sodium-glutamate salt
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots, French beans & capsicum
- 1 piece of charcoal
CHICKEN/ EGG/ VEG – CHINESE FRIED RICE
Goes well with Chinese sweet sour vegetables.
- Apply salt to the chicken.
- Heat some oil in a wok/ pan and add eggs. Scramble the eggs and keep them aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the same wok/ pan, add garlic cloves & fry for 2 minutes, then add the chopped vegetables, scallions/ spring onions & fry on high flame.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry well.
- Add soya sauce, black pepper powder and MSG or Chicken stock cube.
- Toss in the partly-steamed rice and mix well.
- Lastly add the scrambled eggs and a few spring onion greens.
- Take a charcoal piece and heat it on a naked flame till red hot.
- Now keep it in the wok containing the fried rice and add a few drops of oil on the red hot charcoal. Immediately cover the wok so that the rice gets a tantalizing smoked flavour. Remove the charcoal once the smoking is done and serve hot.
Tip to make partly-steamed rice:
Long grained rice (I prefer the fragrant Basmati rice) washed and soaked for half an hour. Steam cook this washed rice with8 cups water & salt. When the rice is 3/4th done, drain off the water. Each grain should be separate and free flowing. They should not stick to each other. To give it a professional touch some prefer to spread the rice on a large plate and place under a fan to partly dry out so that they are very free flowing.
Rice should be made about an hour in advance to make it perfect.