- ½ kg chicken 1 cup cashew nut paste 2 teaspoon coriander seeds 2 teaspoon jeera ½ teaspoon fenugreek (methi) seeds 4 red dry chillies 5 cloves ½ inch cinnamon 6 black pepper corns 3 onions chopped 1 lemon juice 1 cup tomato puree 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste ½ teaspoon sugar Salt to taste
I normally prepare this kadai / karahi (pan/ wok) chicken, kadai murg, kadai kombdi in a pressure pan and cook it till one whistle. It is also known as Chicken Handi. If the materials are all handy, the dish itself takes very little time to prepare and is a popular choice on restaurant menus.
- Apply salt and lemon juice on the chicken and marinate it for one hour.
- Dry roast the coriander seeds, jeera/ cumin seeds, cloves, red chillies, black pepper corns & cinnamon.
- Take half an onion and grind the above spices/ masala to a fine paste.
- Now heat oil in pan/ kadai / karahi/ wok and add fenugreek (methi) seeds.
- Add the chopped onions, salt and fry it till it is golden brown. Add the sugar and allow it to caramelize.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry well.
- Add the spices/ masala and fry well till oil separates from the masala.
- Add the tomato puree and fry well for 5 minutes.
- Add cashew nut paste and fry well for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and fry well for 7 minutes. Add a cup of water and cook well till done.
- Garnish with coriander and serve the chicken kadai / handi with parathas, nans or similar breads. Also goes well with rice preparations like pilafs and biryanis.