- 1 kg chicken cut into pieces ½ kg onions (sliced) 250 gms curd 2 teaspoon chilli powder 25 gms garam masala (whole - 6 cloves, 6 green cardamoms, 3cm cinnamon, 2 bay leaves, 8 black pepper corns) 1 teaspoon turmeric powder 1 teaspoon garam masala powder 1 teaspoon coriander powder 1 tablespoon ginger- garlic paste 250 gms tomato puree (or 1 cup chopped tomatoes) Salt to taste Oil for cooking 4 tablespoons ghee
Punjabi cuisine has been popular all over the world.The whole spices along with the tomato puree blends well to give a perfect flavour to the chicken do pyaza dish. Pyaz means onions in the Hindi language and is a simple chicken preparation made in an onion curry.
- Apply salt to the chicken.
- Fry the sliced pyaz / onions to brown color by adding little salt.(salt releases water and fries the onion faster)
- Make a paste of curds and the fried onions in a grinder.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadahi and add the whole masala( 2 bay leaves,3 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon,1 big cardamom).
- Add ginger- garlic paste to the pan and fry well.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and the curd mixture. Fry well for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of water.
- When the water starts boiling add the chicken and cook for 10 to 15 minutes till chicken becomes soft.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with boiled eggs.
- This tasty chicken do pyaza can be eaten with steamed rice or tava paratha.