- 1 kg chicken cut into pieces 1 tablespoon garlic-ginger-green chilly paste ½ cup grated coconut 8 cloves 1 inch cinnamon 1 teaspoon aniseeds 1 teaspoon turmeric powder 1 tablespoon coriander seeds 1 jaipatri (nutmeg petals) 8 black pepper corns 6 bedgi chillies (dry red, only colour, no heat peppers) 2 Kashmiri dry red chillies ½ teaspoon jeera 1 star anise 5 onions chopped finely 4 tomatoes ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves 1 tablespoon tamarind Salt to taste
A tasty Chicken preparation grandma used to make and which I cherish. I hope you would love it too.
- Apply salt to the chicken and marinate.
- Dry roast cinnamon, cloves, aniseeds, coriander/ cilantro seeds, jaipatri (nutmeg leaves), peppercorns, both the types of dry red chillies, jeera, star anise, on a hot tava pan for just about 3 minutes.
- Take 2 chopped onions and fry them in oil till brown. Add the grated coconut and fry it till golden. Grind it to a paste with tamarind.
- Boil the tomatoes and puree them.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the remaining onions till pinkish. Add the masala paste & fry it till the oil separates.
- Now add the tomato puree & fry well.
- Add the chicken and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add water & chopped coriander leaves & cook till chicken is soft.
- Finally add the onion-coconut paste and cook for 10 minutes.
- My grandma’s traditional recipe of Chicken is ready to be served.
- Can be enjoyed with parathas or rice pulavs.