- 3 cups maida/ refined flour 3 teaspoon rawa/ semolina 1 cup ghee 1 cup sugar ½ teaspoon vanilla essence 1 ½ cups milk ½ teaspoon baking powder
These are simple to make steamed English cakes. These can be steamed as you would steam dumplings, dim sums or idlis. They make great tea time snacks. My grandmother-in law used to make idlis which she called “heat” hence I fondly call these cakes sweet heat.
- In a bowl take 3 cups maida/ refined flour. Remove 3 tespoons maida from the bowl and add 3 teaspoons rawa/ sooji/ semolina in its place.
- Beat well ghee, sugar & milk. Add baking powder to it.
- Now fold in the maida + rawa mixture and mix well.
- Put the batter in greased tins & steam it (you can use idli patra or steaming vessels used for dumplings/ dim sums).
- The steamed English cake is ready to be served.