- ½ litre milk 250 gms condensed milk 3 tablespoons/ 50 gms fine semolina/ seviyan 1 teaspoon ghee 1 teaspoons raisins (optional) 1 teaspoon badam / almond slivers 1 pinch of small elaichi/ cardamom
SEVIYAN KHEER / VERMICELLI IN MILK / SHEER KORMA
A traditional sweet dish (dessert) made during major festivals & special occasions in India and many eastern countries, the Seviyan Kheer is made with Vermicelli in condensed milk spiced with mild saffron and garnished with a mix of various dry fruits. Seviyan chi kheer is specially prepared during Ganesh Chaturthi, Ramzan Id (here this dish is referred to as Sheer Korma) and for wedding celebrations.
- Heat a pan/ vessel and add a teaspoon of ghee and roast the fine seviyan till they are brown. Pre-roasted seviyan are also available in the market.
- Boil the milk and add the roasted seviyan and cook for 5 minutes with continuous stirring.
- Add condensed milk, raisins and almond slivers. Sprinkle cardamom powder.
- Tip: you can also make the kheer without condensed milk. Use buffalo milk (this is denser compared to cow’s milk and has higher fat content) and add 3 tablespoons of sugar. If you use condensed milk, addition of sugar is not needed.