- 1 cup Poha (beaten rice) ½ coconut grated 2 ½ tablespoon jaggery 2 or 3 dried leaves of turmeric optional A pinch of salt
Roasantley Fove is a simple offering made to God during the early morning Pooja of Deepavali in Goa. This is basically a type of Kheer made with beaten rice and coconut milk.
Goans celebrate Deepavali with many varieties of Fove/ Poha/ Pova/ Beaten rice preparations.
All these are very healthy dishes and you need not wait until Diwali to enjoy these.
- Wash the Fove/ poha and drain off the water. I have used unpolished beaten rice(red colour), but you could also use the polished white beaten rice.
- Extract thick milk (1st extract) and thin milk( 2nd extract with help of water) from the grated coconut.
- Boil the poha in the thin coconut milk till soft.
- Add jaggery, salt & dried turmeric leaves and boil for 2 minutes.
- Lower the flame (on high flame the coconut milk could split), add the thick coconut milk and boil for 2-3 minutes and switch off the flame. The beaten rice absorbs the coconut milk and Jaggery and give a very delicious flavor.
- This Roasantley fove can be eaten hot , or some prefer to chill it in the refrigerator and eat is cold.