- 1 cup sweet curd made from buffalo milk ½ cup sugar A few strands of Kesar/ saffron A few grains of Elaichi/ cardamom Dry fruits for garnishing eg. Charoli, almonds, cashew nuts Salt to taste
Shrikhand is a very special dessert made with fresh curd and popularly eaten with Puri. This is made on special occasions like poojas, festivals, marriages etc. This is not only popular in Mahasrashtra (this recipe is from the city of Pune) but also in the state of Gujarat in India.
Though curd is compared to yoghurt, the consistency is different, hence you cannot make Shrikhand with yoghurt.
- Strain the whey from the curd by hanging it in a muslin cloth or by leaving it in a strainer for at least half an hour.
- Put the curd in a bowl, add sugar, salt & whisk it well until the sugar is totally dissolved.
- Dip the saffron strands in 1 tablespoon hot milk and add to the Shrikhand to give it the special aroma and tint of the saffron.
- If you prefer the flavour of cardamom add crushed cardamom/ elaichi seeds and mix well.
- Optional are dry fruits for garnishing eg. Charoli, almonds, cashew nuts etc. Personally I don’t prefer to add these.
- Serve with hot puris.