- For the coating:- 1 cup maida/ refined flour 1 cup rawa/ suji/ semolina 2 tablespoon hot molten ghee (some use oil) 1 pinch of salt A little milk or water (for moisturizing) For the filling:- 1 cup coconut grated 1 tablespoon jaggery 50 g dry fruits/ nuts like almonds, pistachio, cashew ¼ teaspoon elaichi/ cardamom powder
OLYA NARALACHI KARANJI / NAIVEDYA CHI NEVRI/ GUJIYA/ GHUGHRA
Nevri or Karanji is a deep fried sweet & crisp prasadam offered to the Lord Ganesha (Elephant headed god worshipped by hindus) especially during the main festival of Ganesh Chaturthi which usually occurs around September (based on the hindu lunar calendar). It is deep fried and the stuffing is made with a mixure of grated coconut and jaggery or sugar (the stuffing so made is called as choon or saran). Some prefer to make a stuffing of besan called as puran. The puran polis are also made from this puran. This is a festival where families bring home a clay idol of the lord with great fanfare with processions of dancing and singing crowds. They are worshipped for 1 1/2 , 3, 5, 7 or 10 days and then are immersed into the ocean as a farewell amongst shouts of “Ganpati bappa morya, pudhchya varsha laukar ya” which means “salutations to father Ganesh, please come soon next year too”; and with this promise of the lords visit next year the crowds return form the immersion often with a small portion of the dissolved clay.
During this festive season there are many special savouries like Vanna & Saar (that go alongwith steamed rice), mugan gathi, vegetable fodi and bhajia/fritters, papadoms etc. and sweets like this recipe of steamed dumplings/ dim sums called ukadiche modak, doodh pene, nevryo or karanjya, seviyan kheer, payasam, mugache kanna etc.
Many also make this Nevri (Konkani)/ Gujiya (Hindi)/ Karanji (Marathi)/ Ghughra (Gujarati) for Diwali as a special pastry sweet.
- Mix the grated coconut & jaggery and cook. The jaggery begins to melt. Mix and stir continuously until the filling gets thick
- Sprinkle cardamom powder and the nuts
- Cool the filling, or make it a few hours before you need to start to make the Nevri/ Karanji and keep aside for use
- Mix the maida, rawa and molten ghee together. The “ghee/ or oil” is used as a binder for the maida+rawa mixture and often referred to as the “mohan”. Add a little water or milk to (helps moisturize the coating to make it luscious) make a firm dough.
- Make round flat discs and stuff the filling in the centre along the half line. Now fold the disc into half to form a half moon, such that the filling is well in the centre
- On one side apply milk or water on the edges and fold the 2 sides to close by pressing the edges to seal completely, like an envelope. The filling is now packed in firmly
- Deep fry in oil till the Nevryo/ Karanjya/ Gujiya/ Ghughra are golden and crisp
- These can be stored for about 3 days