- 4 cups red carrots grated 1 cup sugar 1 cup milk ¼ cup ghee (unsalted butter) ¼ cup cream ½ teaspoon green elaichi powder (cardamom) Slivers of almonds(almonds soaked in water for 4-5 hours) for garnishing
A popular and traditional sweet made at special occasions & by doting mothers for their children as a treat. Usually these red carrots are available in plenty during the winter season. Traditionally made with plenty of ghee/butter, I have toned down the fat levels to more acceptable levels from a health point of view. Gajar ka halwa is preferred eaten hot. Some like to eat it in combination with a slab of vanilla ice-cream.
- Fry the carrots in ghee in a tava (pan) for about 15 minutes till the carrots are half cooked.
- Add milk and cook the carrots till all the milk is absorbed.
- Add sugar and fry well till the carrot mixture turns dark in colour.
- Add cream and fry it well until the ghee is separated.
- Sprinkle elaichi on the gajar ka halwa and garnish with almonds.