- 4 cups besan (chickpea flour)
- 2 cups ghee (clarified butter)
- A little ghee for greasing the plate
- 10 almonds cut into slivers
- 2 cups powdered or castor sugar
- ½ teaspoon green cardamom (elaichi) powder
Let’s celebrate Diwali with a plate full of this Besan Barfi! It is much easier to prepare than Besan Ladoos and taste awesome too!
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the besan flour.
- Roast it on slow fire stirring continuously for 15 minutes. The secret of a good barfi is in the roasting. This stage is very important as the besan give a nice aroma when its ready; care should be taken to avoid charring and hence continuous stirring is critical. Any charring will ruin the barfi aroma and flavor.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Add almond slivers, green cardamom powder and the powdered or castor sugar. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Apply ghee to the tray. Pour the besan mixture and spread it evenly on the tray. Use a plastic sheet and roll a vati/ katori. Flat bottom cup over it to flatten to a smooth surface texture.
- Cut into square or diamond shaped pieces.
- The besan barfi is ready to serve.