- 1 tablespoon butter 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 onions chopped finely ½ tablespoon ginger-garlic paste 2 cups boiled veggies (French beans, carrots, cauliflower, peas) 2 cups white sauce 1 seasoning cube 2 tablespoons grated cheese 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
Vegetable au gratin is originally a French dish and is a baked veggie preparation. My simpler variation of this gives you option that does not need baking. It is a dish low on spice and high on cheesy sauce.
A perfect weekender item to introduce a flavor of French cuisine into your home.
- Heat a mixture of 1 tablespoon butter+ 1 tablespoon olive oil (or any other oil of your choice) and fry the onions till golden.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the boiled vegetables and fry for 2 minutes.
- Finally add the white sauce and mix well. (link to white sauce recipe given below)
- Sprinkle black pepper powder and cheese.
- You can serve the au gratin as is or you can transfer to a baking tray and bake it. Both ways it tastes delicious.
- Serve the vegetable au gratin hot with regular loaf bread or garlic bread or bread buns. You could also try it with toasted breads or rusks if you prefer.
- You can check my recipe for white sauce used in this recipe.
- You can add mushrooms, boneless chicken, macaroni etc to the vegetables to make it more interesting.
- You can make it more exciting for kids by adding a table spoon of tomato sauce, baby corns or regular corns etc.