- 1 cup Basmati (fragrant) rice. 1 large potato 2 large onions sliced thinly 1 tablespoon coriander powder 1/2 teaspoon black pepper corns 1 teaspoon Shahjeera 2 tamalpatra (bay leaves) 2 green chillies slit (peppers) 1 tablespoon peas 1 teaspoon sugar 1 tablespoon oil salt to taste
Pulav is a simple steamed rice preparation generally made with vegetables. This is a simple recipe that can be eaten on its own or with a Chicken masala. This recipe is made with only green peas and fried potato chips. Its a quick fix for a lunch on the go. Very mildly flavoured with aromatic spices.
- Apply salt on the finely chopped onion and keep it aside for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the water. Deep fry the onion till deep brown. Keep it aside.
- Deep fry the potato chips with salt and reserve.
- Wash the basmati rice in water to remove the excess starch and reserve.
- Heat oil, add shahjeera, black pepper corns, tamalpatra/bay leaves, coriander powder, fried onions. Add sugar and allow the sugar to caramalize. Add green chillies. Add rice and fry for 2 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups water, peas, salt to taste, and cook. (normally cooked in a pressure cooker for upto 2 whistles).
- Once the rice is ready, garnish with 1 tablespoon ghee (unsalted butter) for better taste.