- 1 kg chicken cut into pieces. 6 Green chillies (peppers) 1 teaspoon cumin seeds-spices (Jeera) 1 teaspoon Jeera powder 2 teaspoon Coriander/ cilantro/ dhaniya seeds powder 1 tablespoon Ginger-Garlic paste 2 cups/ 1 bunch of Coriander leaves 1 cup/ half a bunch of mint leaves Paste of 20 cashewnuts soaked in hot water and ground finely. 5 black peppercorns 5 cloves 2 pieces of Cinnamon (1 inch each) 3 Green Cardamoms (Small elaichi) 2 Bayleaves-spices (Tamalpatra) 1 lemon juice 1 teaspoon black pepper powder 3 finely chopped onions 2 tablespoons ghee/butter Salt to taste
Chicken Coriander/ Cilantro/ Dhaniya/ Kothmiri is made in green gravy of coriander paste (chutney) with a perfect blend of mint leaves. The coriander/ cilantro and mint leaves when crushed into a paste give a mildly flavoured deliciously fragrant dish that leaves a fresh feeling in the mouth.
Great accompaniments are fried rice/french fries pilaff or any variety of breads/ parathas. Every time I have made this dish has brought me great compliments from kids and adults alike, a sure winner at any dinner.
- Rub the chicken with salt and black pepper powder and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee/butter, add jeera, black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves.
- Add onions and fry till brown.
- Add the Ginger-Garlic paste and fry well for 5 minutes.
- Add ground paste of coriander/ cilantro leaves, mint and green chillies and fry well.
- Add the cashew nut paste and the marinated chicken. Cook well till chicken is done.
- Finally, add the lemon juice, salt to taste and sprinkle jeera powder and coriander/ cilantro/ dhaniya/ kothimbir/ kothmir seeds powder. Serve hot!